Monday, January 2, 2012

Virgo - Sign of the Neurotic

Last night, while my husband, kids and I devoured left over Chinese food for dinner, we started talking about the Chinese zodiac and eventually, western astrology.  Dave grabbed the computer and he looked up all of our signs, Chinese and otherwise.  According to the Chinese zodiac, I'm a goat, and I live with two snakes and a pig.  Look at the western charts, and my husband is a Scorpio, Emily is a Libra, Alex is a Cancer, and I'm a Virgo.

I hated growing up a Virgo.  While other kids were the sign of the crab, the lion or the fish, I was the sign of the virgin.  As a middle- and high-schooler, that was a good enough reason for a proliferation of jokes, with me as the object.  Besides, it wasn't like Virgoes had lots of cool attributes like the other signs.  If you were born an Aries, you have a brave heart; if you're a Libra, you're harmonious; if you're a Sagittarius, you're adventurous.  Virgo attributes?  Picky, fussy, perfectionist, and practical.  Excellent.

It's hard to argue with fact, and although I don't believe that the attributes of different signs apply to every individual born under them, I see a great deal of myself in the Sign of the Virgin.  I am all of those things, and more.  I'm a perfectionist to my core, especially when it comes to my expectations of myself.  I can't be happy unless I feel like I've given 1000% to every endeavor that I undertake, whether it's school, work, home, volunteering or something else.  It's a sickness, really.  They say that Virgo women, particularly, are great people to have on your side, because we're so dependable and love to take care of others.  That may be true, but I was kind of hoping that someday my loved ones would write words like "vivacious" or "creative" on my headstone.  "Here lies Gina - she was practical and dependable" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

For now, according to the ultra-reliable Yahoo! Astrology, it looks like it might be a breakthrough year for me, and I'm happy to take that as a good omen:


"This year is all about non-stop action for you, Virgo. With Mars spending the entire first half of 2012 in your sign, you may start to wonder if there will be any break in sight before 2013. The first quarter of the year will be under Mars's retrograde influence, a transit that could push you into a semi-neurotic workaholic mode. Be sure to give yourself plenty of physical outlets in order to channel all that excess Mars energy. When Mars turns direct in Virgo in May, you'll possess tremendous energy to make amazing things happen!

With Neptune moving back into your partnership sector in February, you'll settle for nothing less than your true soul mate; either that or you'll feel blissfully wedded to your spiritual nature ... or perhaps a little of both! In any case, this is the time of your life to realize how important it is to satisfy the longings of your soul. You've compromised, settled and rationalized trying to make the wrong relationship right for long enough. Now you're willing to wait for the real thing.

You'll be thrilled to know that Saturn, after putting the brakes on your spending over the last few years, is finally about to take leave of your financial sector. Any financial challenges you've had to endure since 2009 should come to an end this October. A change of residence or alterations to your current abode are possibilities under the next wave of eclipse patterns. June's full Moon lunar eclipse in your domestic sector is the beginning of many profound changes to affect both home and career prospects between late 2012 and early 2013. And then, the new Moon solar eclipse in November in your communication sector could bring new potential for learning, speaking, writing or travel opportunities."

Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment