Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Freshman 15

I hope that it's only 15.  Pounds, that is.  The coziness of my room at the inn withstanding, this residency has other things in common with a cruise ship.  I expected a small room, but I didn't expect a full buffets for all meals, and free baked goods, coffee and soda all day long.  And the food is fantastic.  I'm not talking about the ironic kind of fantastic, the air quotes kind of fantastic, or the for-a-college-cafeteria kind of fantastic.  I'm talking about the fantastic kind of fantastic.  Steaks, pork tenderloin, seafood, carving stations, cooking stations, dessert stations and more.  That's just for lunch.  Add salad bar, sandwich bar, breakfast stations that feature omelets, quiche, pancakes, sausage, cereal, bagels, muffins, fruit and more?  It's a virtual shmorgasbord, and an accident waiting to happen for those of us with little self control and no adult supervision.

And that's just on campus.  My inn also has a pretty palatial spread each morning, and free coffee and baked goods literally from dawn to dark.  Being the coffee hound that I am, I can't seem to stop myself from pouring a cup, and grabbing a molasses cookie or two (or three) while I stir the cream into the cup.  I'm surrounded by temptation, and it seems to lurk around every corner, just waiting to exploit my moments of weakness.

When I talked to my daughter tonight about all of these wonderful foods and beverages offered to me, including the chocolate layer cake that was one of tonight's dessert selections after dinner, she gave me a very wise piece of advice.  I should know it's wise, because I'm the one that taught it to her.  "That's a 'sometimes food', Mommy."

At the very moment that we're convinced that our children never listen to a word we say, they find the most inopportune times to throw our wisdom back in our faces.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment