Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Second Chances

My beautiful friend, Colleen, stood at the front of the room, nervously adjusting the hem of her simple, black shift dress, clearly trying to hold back tears of nervousness, excitement, and pride.  After an arduous six-month-long interview process, she watched the Douglas County Sheriff speak to the friends and family assembled in the room.  He told us how these three inductees into the Sheriff's office were the best of the best, the only three chosen from a large pool of candidates to become members of the department.  I watched her husband and children beam with pride, and I was incredibly happy to see her get her second chance. 

After a couple of intense and difficult years, she had achieved her goal.  She now has an excellent job, the benefits that her family needs right now, and another chance to make a difference in her community.  I say, "another" because Colleen is one of those people that makes a difference every day, just by being the loving and wonderful wife, mother, friend and volunteer that she is.  She is as devoted a person as I've ever met, and I couldn't be happier for her.

I know a little bit about how she feels, as I'm embarking on another chance myself.  Tomorrow I'll pack my bags and get ready to depart to Boston on Thursday morning, for a chance at the life I've dreamed of.  While my chance is nowhere near as profound as hers, it's an opportunity to create something magical.  The work will be hard, the hours will be long, but it'll be worth every ounce of effort.

So, I say to you, lovely Colleen:  Let's hold each other's hands, and jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment