Saturday, January 14, 2012

Goodbye, Cambridge - Hello, Berkshires

The Lesley University MFA students scattered to the winds this afternoon.  Warm hugs, smiles and promises to keep in touch dwindled as the day went on and less and less of us were still there.  I was one of the last to leave, hanging on to every remaining minute, I attended graduation, said my goodbyes, and walked out of the empty quad for the last time.  Just before I got to the street, I looked back over my shoulder to imprint the place where I spent so many hours in the last 10 days on my memory.

I'd heard that MFA residencies tend to form close bonds, creating relationships that last through long, sometimes lonely semesters at home, each of us huddled in front of laptops in our individual places in the country (and abroad).  In such a short but intense period, it's amazing how close you can become with a group of people that you otherwise never would have met.  I'm awed by the talent and the generosity of the students here - so willing to let me into their exclusive circle and make me one of their own.  I worried, before I got here, that I might not fit in, but I'm glad to say that I was wrong.  It's easy for me to imagine the happy reunions that I'll have with this new writing family when I return for the next four residencies.

It's time to move on, to cap off my time here with a couple of precious days with my best friend of 36 years and her beautiful family.  I get to see them so rarely, and I'm so excited to wrap Ginger, Ken, Ashleigh and Paige in a huge hug and nestle into the Berkshires for a couple of days before I make my way back home.  What a great way to end this magical experience.

Goodbye, Cambridge.  This is a trip that I'll always remember.  When your trees burst with leaves, your flowers blossom, and the sun warms your streets, I'll be back.  See you in June.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Lesley. It's an awesome program. I graduated w/my MFA in July of 2011. Advice: Ask lots of questions and forms deep friendships.

    ReplyDelete